Bristol, Charlton Road
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to co-ordinate the engineering resources and projects at our Pieminister factory. Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will be responsible for your team of maintenance engineers, all factory machinery and services, building fabric and the maintenance budget. Through excellent planning of preventative maintenance and implantation of improvement projects, you will maximise our pie-making equipment up-time whilst minimising cost.
The ideal candidate will have project management and continuous improvement experience plus good number of years of industry experience too, ideally within FMCG. You will need to be proactive with strong bias for action, commercially astute, able to prioritise and communicate, and have oodles of energy to bring to the role.
This role is based in Brentry in North Bristol (5 min away from M5 J17) and is Monday -Friday, although ability to flex to business requirements (including the occasional weekend) is required.
- Ensuring Maintenance processes support production targets and meet deadlines, without compromising quality or control of costs.
- Ensuring good housekeeping is maintained.
- Ensuring that Quality, H&S and other Company policies are adhered to and liaising with relevant departments to ensure issues are resolved.
- Maintaining good employee relations and promoting equality of opportunity.
- Woking within the Company Values.
Maintenance Management Duties
- Maintaining Group policies, procedures and practices to satisfy all company rules and regulations.
Documented Auditing System Duties
- Carrying out maintenance audits on all preventative and reactive works that have been completed.
- Carrying out audits on documentation with reference to all customer codes of practice.
Purchasing and Stores Duties
- Assessing and reporting all maintenance and breakdown repair costs.
- Assessing and maintaining adequate stock levels.
- Liaising with accounts and suppliers/contractors for invoice approval.
- Setting up external annual service and inspection contracts.
Monitoring and Reporting Duties
- Reporting strategically to the operational team and to the site General Manager.
- Recording, reporting and accountability for all running costs, for example water and electric.
- Recording, reporting and accountability for all maintenance and breakdown costs.
- Liaising and assisting in setting up and complying with all company policies and procedures.
Maintenance Issues Duties
- Ensuring all buildings, plant and machinery are maintained to the highest possible standard and comply with regulations.
- Ensuring all departmental staff are capable of undertaking the jobs at hand, in a safe and capable manner, and in compliance with all company rules and regulations.
- Managing all departmental staff to ensure a continuous safe working environment for all production and engineering staff.
People Management Duties
- Checking and adjusting staff levels to ensure the most efficient running of the department.
- Managing employees effectively and addressing any issues that arise in a professional manner by ensuring legislative compliance and best practice at all times- seek advice from HR when necessary.
- Identifying training needs for new and existing employees- liaise with HR to arrange
- On completion of job training, ensuring all relevant documentation has been signed and forwarded to HR.
- Conducting disciplinary hearings with departmental staff.
- Approving and managing holiday allowance to ensure adequate cover in the department at all times.
- Conducting return to work interviews with departmental staff, ensuring completion of a Return to Work Form and forwarding to HR.
- Reviewing the performance of engineering staff- setting objectives for their training and development, providing support and creating opportunities for their training and development, providing feedback and evaluating the effectiveness and performance improvement.
- Ensuring compliance with Employee Handbook for all departmental staff.
- Liaising with HR/Payroll regarding T&A/Wages issues.
- Dealing with departmental staff in a fair and even handed manner, adhering to the Company Values at all times.
Health and Safety Duties
- Attending relevant H&S meetings.
- Maintaining H&S and hygiene standards in accordance with Company rules and regulations.
- Ensuring that all staff and visitors in the department wear appropriate PPE at all times.
- Creating and developing risk assessments in-line with company policy.
- Highlighting any possible environmental issues and support the issues with solutions based on fact
From Pieminister’s humble beginnings, selling pies at music festivals and market stalls, we have now grown to over 12 restaurants and have ambitious expansion plans to roll out more restaurants up and down the country.
Pieminister is a multi-channel business, developing pies (and other complimentary products) for Pieminister’s restaurants, cafes, brand licenses (which include pubs and universities) and independent retailers, delis and supermarkets. Pieminister also host pie and mash weddings, cater for corporate events and feed festival goers in the summer.
Pieminister is still a family owned business and has 150 pie experts making over 6 million pies a year and up to 90,000 pies a week in Bristol. Pieminister is the UK’s only national pie company to use 100% free range British meat. And the provenance of ingredients is a key part of what Pieminister stand for.
Pieminister have been recognised as one of the 1,000 businesses to inspire Britain, won awards for all Pieminister pies and are hailed in the press as the saviour of the British pie.
The working environment at Pieminister is fast paced, varied, high-energy and we have lots fun along the way. We don’t wear suits, but we are serious about business and our ambition to be the UK’s most loved pie brand.
- An excellent technical (engineering) background, with “hands on” experience and a relevant Engineering Level 4 qualification.
- Experience of directly managing and motivating a team
- Project management experience
- Ability to balance priorities, accept change and work flexibility
- Solid literacy and computer skills – Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint.
- Strong all round communicator – highly organised, enthusiastic, and driven.
- 3+ years Engineering Management experience, in FMCG
- Knowledge of continuous improvement methodologies
- Car Allowance
- Clear path for remuneration increases
- Child care vouchers
- Pie Day Friday – lunch on us every week
- Staff discount on bulk buys of pies and meals in our restaurants
- Chance to get involved with all of our charitable activity
- Invite to the annual pie awards, parties and picnics
- Continuous training and development to grow within the world of pie
- And… a Pieminister tea towel, The Holy Pie-ble and free Pie Feast vouchers to try out the restaurant menu!
If you think this is for you and want to join us on our exciting journey then please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com with the reference: Engineering Manager